One of my favorite summer memories is going strawberry picking with my mom and making homemade jam and pies with her. I don't remember how old I was or how much help I actually gave but I sure remember how delicious the strawberries were and how amazed I was that we could make our own jam and pie. So when I saw strawberry picking season was wrapping up and some gorgeous cool sunny weather this week I decided it was time to get picking. Together with my sister n laws and their kids we picked about 10 pounds each of beautiful strawberries. Picking lived up to the memory and was fun to see my 7 nieces and nephews have so much fun, we may have a new family tradition.
Back at home I got to work on strawberry pie and the next night made an appetizer recipe both are below, the rest will go for cereal, snacking with yogurt and also some for the freezer.
1 baked pastry shell
8 cups medium strawberries
2/3 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
Fresh Whipped Cream
2. For glaze, in a food processor combine 1 cup strawberries and 1 cup of water. Cover and process until smooth. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in blended berry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Cool for 10 minutes without stirring.
3. Spread 1/4 glaze over bottom and sides of Baked Pastry Shell. Arrange half of the remaining strawberries in the pastry shell. Spoon half of the glaze over fruit covering each piece. Arrange remaining fruit over first layer. Spoon remaining glaze over fruit. Chill for 1-2 hours and garnish with fresh whipped cream.
Cool Balsamic and Strawberries with Warm Mozzarella Flatbread From Everyday Dining with Wine
1 pint strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
2T balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
Six pita or flatbread rounds
Extra virgin olive oil
6 oz fresh mozzarella
5 fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400F or grill. Combine strawberries, vinegar & few grinds of pepper in mixing bowl and stand @ room temp for 10-30 minutes
2. Brush flatbread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt on both sides. Place on baking sheet and heat in oven or place directly on grill for 2 minutes to toast lightly. Remove, cut in quarters and return to baking sheet.
3. Slice mozzarella into ½ inch thick slices. Place on pita and return to oven or grill until cheese is puffy ~2 minutes.
4. Add finely chopped basil to strawberries.
5. Remove pit from grill and spoon strawberry mixture over cheese and serve immediately.
6. Pairs with Dry Rose or Rioja Reserva